PLEASE NOTE OUR 2018 RACE START TIMES:
Everybody will enjoy a less congested start in 2018. The 5K and the half marathon races have separate start times. Start time for the 5K will be at 8:00 a.m. Start time for the half marathon will be at 8:10 a.m. The starting gate is at John F. Kennedy Drive east of Stow Lake Drive. If you are running the 5K, you will need to start promptly at 8:00 a.m. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Both the 5K & half marathon are point to point with a net loss in altitude from the east end of Golden Gate Park to the far west end.
- The 5K is a fast, downhill 3.1 mile course newly certified by USA Track & Field.
- The half marathon course will take runners out around the panhandle, back through Golden Gate Park, and out and back on the Great Highway and finishes at the entrance to the Kaiser Permanente health expo.
- After 11 a.m., half marathon participants still on the course will be moved to the pedestrian pathway to finish the course (the finish line is open until 12:00 noon).
Finish Lines – both in the southwest corner of Golden Gate Park:
- Half Marathon Finish: on Bernice Rodgers Way, near Martin Luther King Drive.
- 5K Finish: On Martin Luther King Drive, a block away from the half marathon finish, the 5K finish line will be followed by the post race activities and food sampling.
- Water at the start and at seven points on the half marathon course and at the finish.
- Nuun will be served at Mile 6, 8.4 and 11.2.
- Water will be served at one location on the 5K course.
- Course monitors will be located on the routes.
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION OR CARPOOLING IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Runners being dropped off near the start: The ideal place is Fulton Street at Park Presidio Blvd., at the “Rose Garden” entrance. Walk through the Rose Garden to JFK and the start will be to your right (west) on JFK.
Pre-race shuttles to the start depart between 6:00 a.m. and 7:45 a.m.
- from Fulton Street and the Great Highway
- from the bus stop above the Cliff House
See pre-race shuttle loop here
Post-race shuttles to start area for the Concourse Underground Garage and to the parking lots above the Cliff House depart at 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- from Fulton Street and the Great Highway
See post-race shuttle loop here
Parking is LIMITED–car pooling and public transportation are highly recommended.
- Limited FREE parking at the Great Highway parking lot with bus shuttles to the start.
- Street parking north of the Great Highway parking lots (up to and above the Cliff House) with bus shuttles to the start.
- Parking near the start at the Concourse Underground Garage. Enter via tunnel from Fulton Street at 10th Avenue with post-race shuttles back to Fulton and 8th Ave. Garage parking rates will apply.
- DO NOT PARK IN BUSINESS PARKING LOTS (SAFEWAY OR BEACH CHALET) OR BLOCK DRIVEWAYS OR YOUR CAR MAY BE TICKETED AND/OR TOWED).
- Please keep all parking areas, paid or free, and all parts of the park clean and dispose of trash in proper receptacles.
Valet Bicycle Parking
The SF Bicycle Coalition will provide complimentary bicycle parking services from 6:00am to 12:30pm. The location is on the lawn at 47th & Fulton.
Volunteers are needed on Race Day. Please email email@example.com if interested.
- Pre-event warm-ups by Kaiser Permanente
- Gear check
- Will Call
- Awards ceremony and age division medals
- Long sleeve finisher race T-shirt pick-up
- Merchandise sales
- Sponsor product sampling
- Free massages courtesy of Kaiser Permanente
- Gear pick-up
*A note about gear check – the race will provide a clear bag so you can check your belongings at the start (no valuables, please!). Race crew will transport gear to the finish line where you will pick it up. You must have your bib for pick-up.
Kaiser Permanente Medical Support
- Medical support will be overseen by the Kaiser Permanente medical team.
- There will be a medical tent staffed with trained emergency personnel at the start line, at the finish line and in the expo area of the event.
- Ambulances will be located at the start line, on the course, at the finish line and in the expo area.
- There will be mobile medics roaming the course throughout the race.
- Medical personnel will be clearly visible, wearing a medical response uniform.
- If there is a medical need on the course, please let one of the race monitors or a volunteer at one of the water stations know as soon as possible and they will call for medical assistance.
- Each participant is responsible for his or her own health insurance.
For your safety and the safety of others
- If you wear earphones, wear ones that allow you to hear your surroundings.
- No dogs, skates, bikes, scooters, etc. on the courses.
- Runners line up according to your minute-per-mile pace.
- Baby joggers and walkers, please line up at the back of the start corrals.
Road Closures and Detour Information
Panhandle Closures — 7:15 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Oak and Fell Streets will be closed from Broderick to Stanyan.
- Broderick, Baker, Masonic and Stanyan Streets will be closed between Page Street and Hayes Street (local access for residents will be allowed up to Fell or Oak).
- Use Divisadero for through traffic north or south
Golden Gate Park Closures
- 6:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. — All park roads east of Transverse
- 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. — All park roads west of Transverse
- Use Crossover Drive for through traffic north or south
Great Highway — 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon
- Full closure both directions on the Great Highway between Fulton St. and Skyline Blvd.